Dr. Miaken Zeiger | Friday February 14, 2020
Building Immune Health, Part IV
With this in-depth discussion we’ve been having on building immune function, you may be asking yourself, am I healthy? Do I need to address my lifestyle behaviors and choices to address a healthier immune system?
Just joining this discussion? We invite you to read the previous three parts of our Building Immune Health which are referenced and linked below.
Let me share a couple thoughts: first, life is a journey and our goal is not perfection, but consistency. It’s what you choose to do consistently, over time, that will build health or take it away. Second, we live in a stress-filled world, and likely that stress will continue to increase as we age. It’s what we choose to do NOW, that will support our body, brain, and immune system’s adaptability to that stress.
So, Is My Immune System Healthy?
The best way to evaluate a healthy immune system is by answering the following questions:
1. How often do I get sick?
2. And, when I do get sick, how long does it last?
So, if your answer to question #1 was “frequently”, your immune system is unhealthy. When you thought about question #2, if you answered “7+ days”, your immune system is unhealthy. If both of your answers were “frequent” and “prolonged”, it’s probably time to self-evaluate your lifestyle choices.
Take a moment and review my analysis and suggestions for each of these three categories:
Part I – Nutrition: When is the Best Time to Boost Your Immune System? Now.
Part II – Meditation, hydration, hygiene: How Meditation, Hydration, and Hygiene Support Immune Health
Part III – Chiropractic, sleep, and movement: Learn How Cell Growth Promotes Health and Well Being
Where do you fall in the spectrum of: does it even exist in your health regiment to your knocking it out of the park.
Once you’ve identified the areas of your life in need of improvement, you can create an immune health plan to tackle, one-by-one, the categories that make the most sense to you. Know I’m here to support you in your journey. I encourage questions, participation and engagement in the healthcare you receive at Zeigler Chiropractic!
My goal for you 5, 10, 20-years from now is this: you are living to your potential; a life of vitality with those you love, doing the things you love! Here’s to building immune health, consistently and intentionally, everyday together!
Yours in Health, Dr. Miaken
Zeigler Chiropractic Immune Health Series Sources:
1. “The Flu Season.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Last modified July 12, 2018.
2. Chopra, Deepak. “How Meditation Helps Your Immune System Do Its Job.” The Chopra Center.
3. Dispenza, Joe. “The Brain and Immunity.” Pathways to Family Wellness. 2016, Issue 52.
4. Mercola, Joseph. “Germier Than the Toilet Seats, But You Touch Them Every Day.” Mercola: Take Control of Your Health. May 27, 2012.
5. Warren-Gash C. et al. “Hand Hygiene to Reduce Community Transmission and Acute Respiratory Tract Infection: A Systemic Review.” Influenza Other Respiratory Viruses. 2012 October 8.
6. Elenkov IJ, Wilder RL, Chrousos GP, Vizi ES. “The Sympathetic Nerve, an Integrative Interface Between Two Super-Systems: The Brain and the Immune System. Pharmacol Rev. 2000, December 52;(4): 595-638.
7. Blanks et al., 1997, Journal of Vertebral Subluxation Research.
8. Rosenthal, Scott et. al. “Perspectives on Chiropractic and Immunity.” Pathways to Family Wellness. 2016, Issue 52.
9. Stevenson, Shawn. Sleep Smarter. New York: Rodale Inc., 2016. Print.
10. Journal of Cell Biology
11. Kohut, M. et. al. “Moderate Exercise in Mice Boosts Immune System, Diminishes Flu’s Severity.” Iowa State University. October 27, 2009.