Dr. Miaken Zeiger | Monday March 16, 2020
Dear ZC community,
There has been a lot of press about the COVID-19 / Coronavirus which has resulted in raised concerns and, in some cases, public panic. The news has been airing nearly constant stories about this spreading problem, the President has declared a state of emergency, and the average citizen can be left confused and distressed, wondering what they should do (if anything) to avoid becoming infected, ill, or worse.
I am following the CDC and Colorado Dept. of Public Health & Environment closely. As of now, we remain open. In addition to these in-office precautions, we are spacing out adjustments to limit the number of people in the office at one time.
As a doctor of chiropractic and a provider of natural health care, I would like to provide you with some information to help you get through this crisis without worry and fear. At times like these, our belief systems about what health is and how we preserve it are challenged. Whatever you decide to do for you and your loved one’s health, it should be based in sound science, not the latest whim or fad. We have some practical advice that we think can help you.
The COVID-19 / Coronavirus does what all viruses do: it invades and replicates itself inside of your own cells. It has a predilection for the respiratory system and lungs. The virus tends to most negatively affect the elderly and those with already compromised immune systems. It has few or no symptoms in the early phases of infection, but it can rapidly progress to severe symptoms quickly. No person wants or plans to get infected. Thankfully, there are both “offensive” and “defensive” steps you can take to lower your risk of exposure to and illness from this virus. Interestingly, these are the same steps we would recommend to reduce your risk of any infection.
PROACTIVE STEPS YOU CAN TAKE:
1) FOLLOW BASIC HYGIENE PROTOCOLS. The CDC has covered everyday precautions at length; refer to their website for in-depth details: CDC Prevention Measures.
2) CONSUME ESSENTIAL NUTRIENTS that can build up and support your immune system (ideally from well-sourced food or whole food supplements)
3) KEY NUTRIENTS to combat viruses:
• Vitamin C (in the complex nature provides): viruses deplete vitamin C, but vitamin C is anti-viral, increases white blood cells, is necessary for the body to produce interferon, and reduces the risk of infections, especially in the lung; foods high in vitamin C include sauerkraut, bell peppers, leafy dark greens, and citrus fruits.
Supplement Dosing: 1000-5000 mg/daily (ideal form: ascorbic acid)
• Vitamin E (in the complex nature provides): a fat-soluble vitamin which strengthens your immune system and is an anti-oxidant; foods high in vitamin E include avocado, nuts, seeds, and leafy greens
• Selenium (in the complex nature provides): a trace mineral that which strengthens your immune system and is an anti-oxidant; foods high in selenium include Brazil nuts, eggs, broccoli, spinach, asparagus, brown rice, oatmeal, garlic, salmon, beef and chicken
• Zinc (in the complex nature provides): nuts and seeds (including cashews, almonds, pumpkin seeds, watermelon seeds), grass-fed dairy, asparagus, spinach, dark chocolate, salmon, beef, chicken, oysters
• Vitamin D (in the complex nature provides, the best form being D-3): sunlight, cod liver oil, mushrooms, cheese, eggs, fatty fish, sardines
Supplement Dosing: 1000 IUs/25-lbs per day
• Vitamin A (in the complex nature provides, the best form being beta-carotene): green leafy vegetables, sweet potatoes, carrots
4) KEY FOODS TO AVOID: white refined table sugar, processed grains, artificial sweeteners, fast food, alcohol
5) HYDRATE WELL: minimum: ½ body weight in ounces of pure water
6) GET ADEQUATE SLEEP: most adults need 7-8 hrs/night, more if you are ill or stressed
7) STAY ACTIVE: moderate exercise raises your core body temperature, which fights micro-organisms like a fever
8) SEE YOUR CHIROPRACTOR and stay subluxation-free by getting adjusted (there is an intimate relationship between the nervous system and the immune system; getting adjusted is one of the fastest ways to ramp up your immune system up and help it fight harder for you)
9) Humor: Be sure to keep your sense of humor. Having a good laugh can do wonders to boost your immunity!
Good article from Western Kentucky University, School of Nursing and University of South Florida.
As your natural health care provider and office, we are here to help you through these and future health challenges. Please ask us questions if you have them. We will do all we can to see that you continue to pursue and reach your God-given health potential.
“Medicine is the study of disease and what causes man to die. Chiropractic is the study of health and what causes man to live.”
Health & Safety Precautions Taken In Our Office.
Click Here to read this article to learn about the steps we are taking in our office as we make the health and safety of our community and patients our top priority. That article includes recommendations on your office visits to Zeigler Chiropractic.
Please understand, these measures are out of an abundance of caution. We must balance reasonable caution with positive opportunities and sources of joy. Please do not hesitate to call or message/email with questions or concerns.
Yours in Health,
Dr. Miaken, Amanda & Jess